Reading PI for Grades 4 & 5
Reading PI for Grades 4 & 5 is a non-fiction comprehension Tier 2 or Tier 3 reading intervention program for teachers, clinicians, and others attempting to help struggling 4th and 5th grade students read authentic non-fiction texts for understanding. Reading PI Program materials are meant to help educators implement relatively intensive and multi-component instruction, which emphasizes necessary comprehension skills, and strategies. The program targets students with adequate word reading, but with poor reading comprehension. With the implementation of Reading PI, 4th and 5th grade students will learn to:
- Read for comprehension and understanding;
- Coordinate cognitive processes, reading strategies and skills to improve comprehension;
- Recognize informational text structure;
- Employ strategies that help strengthen their ability to understand non-fiction passages. These strategies include:
- Previewing vocabulary to identify and define vocabulary words;
- Identifying and preview text features and text structure;
- Checking one’s own background knowledge;
- Identifying then clarifying confusing words while reading;
- Identifying the main idea of a paragraph;
- Identifying the question type (factual or inference)
- Connect what the student reads with personal background knowledge
- Efficacy of the program outcomes is based on one instructor / tutor and two students.
- Instructional techniques are designed to push students toward stronger performance and greater independence than they would be able to achieve without support.
- Coordination of cognitive processes, reading strategies, and skills help to improving students’ comprehension.
- Point Sheets are used to help track student behavior as part of the behavior management. system. This motivational component of the program encourages student participants to be respectful, work hard, and to be good team members in return for the opportunity to win prizes.
- The program has 40 lessons, to be conducted in three 45-minute sessions per week.
- Program Unit Price: (1501-M) $130.00
- Program materials include 2 manuals (Training and Practice); 2 shrink-wrap sets of 4 Student Workbooks created using informational text, teacher aids, and various 8.5″ x 11″ posters, game boards, flash cards, and other manipulatives. Student materials are included on a USB drive.
- Student Materials for Reading PI 4th and 5th grades are on a USB Flash Drive for easy copying.
- Authors: Doug Fuchs, Emma Hendricks, Nikki Davis, Grace Davis, Samuel A. Patton, Meagan E. Walsh, and Lynn S. Fuchs.
Take a Look Inside:
- Training Manual: Table of Contents
- Practice Manual: Table of Contents
- Excerpt from the training manual
TRAINING Request Form: https://airtable.com/shrf76k6J2klGRbzz